Choosing the right domain name for your website
What is a domain name?
A domain name is the part of a web address that specifies the name of the website. E.g. google.com or www.orionmarketing.com.au. ‘Orion Marketing’ is the domain name for the ‘www’ web address. In this case, the domain name is also the business name.
How do I come up with a domain name?
Your website and your domain name will usually be your customer’s first impression of your online business or brand. This means that choosing your domain name needs to be done with care and consideration, taking into account a number of factors.
Deciding on?a suitable?domain name is an important first step in the longer process of search engine optimisation?for your website. Here are a couple of factors to consider when deciding on your domain name.
Consider these 4 tips when choosing a domain name…
- Length – you don’t want your domain name to be too long. Short, clear, concise. If your domain name is lengthy it will be harder for customers to remember, write down and/or?spell correctly. A tip: use no more than 3 words or 15 characters.
- Relevance to your core purpose – is your proposed domain name relevant to your core business offering? E.g. if you buy and sell boats, www.timsboats.com, www.bluemarine.com would be suitable. www.buyandsell.com or www.tims.com?would not be suitable as there is no relevance to your core business. When people think of your website/domain name they should also think of your business.
- Keywords – when you think about what your core product or service is, make a note of the words you would use to describe this. Then, image you are a customer searching for your product or service online but don’t know any particular company name. What keywords would you list? A domain name that features keywords may help your page rank better in a number of search engines. However, only use a keyword if it makes sense to e.g. Tom’s Plumbing or Blue Ocean Seafoods. Keyword stuffing is not advised.
- Creative – you could also use a variety of creative means to come up with a unique domain name. Try compounding two words (FaceBook), blend two words (Microsoft) or possibly a completely unique word (Google).
Good luck with coming up with a smashing domain name that both represents your brand and appeals to your target market. Find out if your domain name is free by checking here now.
Domain name guides
- NameStation – produces a list of available domains based on a chosen word
- Panabee – a simple way to search for domains names, app names and company names
- Domainr – type a word and it will find domain name hacks
Talk with us
Simply leave a comment in the box below or ask a question. If you like this post, please share it with friends or through your social media channels.
Please get in touch today if you want help on setting up your small business. We?ll take care of the detail so you can spend more time growing your business.
Marshall Thurlow is Director and Founder of Orion Marketing Pty Ltd. He is a digital marketer with expertise in SEO, website design, content marketing and project management. With over 15 years of experience spanning government, not-for-profit and the private sector, he is well equipped to lead teams to success. He is a big proponent of environmental sustainability, critical thinking and progressive issues.